Gratitude comes from the glad tidings brought by the Angels
But now the angels are long gone; now what?
I have been somewhat overwhelmed this Christmas by the many losses I have experienced in the past while. What do I say when friends ask if I’m going “home” for the Christmas season? Where is “Home”?
My parents are gone; my siblings, except one in palliative care, are gone; my children have other places to be. A number of years ago, my wife passed away, bringing more overwhelming loss. Nothing seems good, except the knowledge that this truly is a Blue Christmas.
When will the angels sing for me; when will they bring joy and peace to my heart?
But then, as I open myself to the love and gratitude brought by those around me, I realize that I have much to be thankful for. Not too long after Susan died, my daughter, SuAnn, suggested I have coffee with a dear friend of theirs who also was grieving a loss, that of her husband. Mary became a wonderful listener as she helped me process my grief. As love would have it, she helped me overcome my deep sorrow; and soon we expressed a deep love for each other. Now as my wife, she continues to bring cheer and joy into our lives. What a gift! I am continually grateful for her and her influence on my life.
My children show love by inviting us to their family dinner. They call; they text; they send emails just to make sure I am alright. How much more can a father ask? The grandchildren also chat to see how things are going; then they hug tightly, expressing a deep love for their grandfather. As I think of family I realize that children and grandchildren often go out of their way to bring joy into our relationship. Again, my heart is filled with gratitude.
My family and friends know how much I enjoy going out for a cup of coffee! They call, or I call, and often the response is a resounding “yes” to a suggestion to head to a coffee shop nearby. Even Mary, who does not drink coffee, has made my day when she agrees to go to a Tims close at hand. What more can I ask? When I ponder these things, I cannot help but appreciate the fact that these friends and family are “angels” bringing joy and peace.
I am truly grateful for these many expressions of love and closeness. My heart is full of gratitude; how can I not be moved by the love I feel from all around?
Yes, the angels are gone;
But their messages of glad tidings
Stay with us; with me,
As I meditate on what God has done.
The love expressed by God
As Christ came into this world
Not to redeem a select few,
But to bring love and gratitude
Into our everyday lives.
The angels are gone
But the glad tidings they brought
Are in us as we open our hearts
And accept with gratitude
The love shown by those around.
The family phone calls; the check-ups,
Questioning my physical and mental health.
These all make life a joyous feeling
Of glad tidings filled with overwhelming love.
The angels are gone, but we celebrate
The love they showered on the world.
I now know that angels are
All around to lift our spirits.
The blue Christmas is swallowed up
By the overwhelming joy and love
Of angels and people everywhere.
Thank you angels, for lifting our spirits.
And thank you friends and family for the lift you bring.
This is the Christmas season, a time when we exchange gifts, but more than that, we exchange joy and love and peace. Even if family is far away, or near at hand, the message of the angels still rings within our hearts and minds. The close ones give us hugs; the far ones send their love via Zoom or other electronic means. A feeling of gratitude and joy permeates the places where we live. The expressions of love warm our hearts.
The feeling of joy far outweighs the feeling of being blue. Yes, the angels may not be here physically, but the words of the angels ring loudly as we celebrate the coming of God Incarnate. Thanks be to God for bringing this precious message of gladness and joy.
GilbertG 25-12-26/27
Thanks for sharing from your heart, Gilbert. I resonate with what you wrote as is evident in my recent posts:
ReplyDeletehttp://ens-intransit.blogspot.ca/