Education
Takes Many Twists
I have
always enjoyed my school days, but sometimes parental interventions were not
appreciated. The beginnings of my
education probably were different than many of you. Let me explain.
I started
the formal schooling part of my life in the school district of Burwalde, MB, a
few kilometers from Winkler. However, my informal education had begun much
earlier. I am the last of twelve siblings, and therefore was able to learn much
from them. When I started kindergarten I already could read reasonably well and
knew about the geography of North America. Then, because my oldest brother was
in the Royal Canadian Air Force, the family kept track of where he was
stationed.
“Kindergarten”
was a short period of time from Easter until the end of the year, just enough
time to get me and the other classmates into the mode of what school was all
about. I enjoyed this setting.
The summer
after my kindergarten experience, my dad retired from public school teaching
and moved the family to Chilliwack, BC. How the next step happened, I really do not
know, but when school started in fall, I was placed into the grade two class. I
skipped the entire first grade. I really
never gave it a thought, but fit right in with my grade twos, except that I was
now the youngest in the class.
I felt I
was doing quite well, but every so often dad would quiz me about my “studies”. My reports were always positive, both from me
and from my teachers via our report cards.
Dad would
occasionally ask how my school subjects were
going. I think he may have missed the classroom interactions. One day dad asked
me about my spelling. I told him I had only two wrong. Dad thought that I should have all the words
correct, having several wrong just did not cut it. He quizzed me about my
spelling for several weeks. My answer was always, “Just two wrong”. Then one
day he asked a second question, “How many words in your tests?” Oh, oh, I was
caught! I sheepishly told him I only had
two words on each day’s quiz. From that day on, after we had done our chores
and finished supper, dad checked up on my spelling and drilled me on the words for
each quiz.
I was embarrassed
but I soon realized that a bit of work meant my spelling greatly improved. In
fact, throughout my teaching and writing careers, I have found that correct spelling
came easily. Thanks to my father, I rarely make a mistake in spelling a word.
My dad helped me with lo g division. Words were always easier than numbers for me.
ReplyDelete