On Sunday, a scripture passage from Psalm 30 was read. This invoked in me the following poem, turning mourning into joy. May you catch the joy experienced by the Psalmist.
MOURNING CHANGES TO JOY
The Psalmist states, “Lord, you changed my mourning into dancing.
You took off my funeral clothes and dressed me up in joy.”
God, for far too long I have been in mourning;
I have forgotten that in you is joy complete.
My siblings and my wife have died and left me in mourning.
But God, the time has come for me to put my mourning clothes away.
I will remember my departed loved ones,
But with joy and not with mourning.
I am alive, and thankful for what brings life abundantly.
My family, children and grandchildren love me dearly
God, you gave me Mary, with whom I find such joy complete.
My mourning clothes are put into the far reaches of my closet,
What now brings me joy?
Mary brings much joy each day as we reflect on God’s great love.
Excitement with my children and grandchildren
Who show much love so many times and in so many ways.
God, help me remember that you continually bring joy,
That you desire for me to envelop that joy
And share it with all who are near and far.
Thank you for this joy of loving and living in your grace filled love.
GilbertG 26-05-11
Thanks, Gilbert, for the reminder to count our blessings and live with joy, even as we go through the hard times of saying forever farewells to those we love so dearly.
ReplyDelete