Search This Blog

CAUGHT FOOLING AROUND


My grade nine was the start of my Chilliwack High School experience. I had numerous friends who also were in my class. We would spend time together during the period breaks, and consult with each other concerning our classes. Were they enjoyable; were they tedious; did we learn new facts? All the teachers were new to us, so any advance information would help each of us determine our attitude and actions.

Our science teacher, Mr. Orme was rather laid back but did provide us with many facts about the world around us. Mostly we enjoyed his classes. Then one day he needed to excuse himself from the class in order to pick up some work sheets from the office. He had neglected to get them before our class was to begin. 

We knew this would take a number of minutes, more than just a quick walk down the hallway. The office was at least three minutes away, so this meant no teacher for about six to seven minutes.

What an opportunity to spend some time “playing”. One of the class members had a large orange still in his desk–the perfect item for playing catch across the aisles. A number of us immediately took up the challenge and tossed the orange forth and back over the heads of the other students. Soon we had to throw the orange high enough so others in the middle rows could not catch or deflect the orange.

What fun for us grade niners! Until–. It so happened that I had just caught the orange and was getting ready to toss it. Until, the principal looked into our room. Mr. Orme had, of course, left the door open to prevent any foolishness.

The principal, Mr. Halcrow, saw what I was attempting to do, and immediately asked my name. I hesitantly told him. He did not come over to where I was sitting, but spoke loudly enough so the entire class could hear. After I told him, he immediately linked me to my sister, who had just graduated. 

“You have an impeccable tradition to follow.You should be ashamed of yourself. Your sister would never consider being involved in such unacceptable behaviour. I expect better from a Brandt! See me in my office after class.”

My punishment–cleaning all the grade nine chalkboards.

I have often wondered about this situation. Could I not be my own person, unfettered by one or more siblings? I was the fourth Brandt to be at the school. Therefore, I am sure that Mr. Halcrow knew of our family. Then too, why did he not ask whose orange it was; or who had thrown it in my direction?

I am not sure whether I no longer did such foolish things, or whether I just became more adept at hiding the tomfoolery. 

My learning experience at Chilliwack Senior Secondary was excellent so possibly my foolishness was re-directed into more positive activities!


 


 


 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a lighter “escapade” story, Gilbert! Having just moved into assisted living reminds me of being in a group situation at CMBC! Everyone with their own unique personality, but with life experience!

    ReplyDelete

JOY IN THE ORDINARY