Sometimes I sit and wonder why my body
Does not match my thoughts of youthfulness.
My body says I am old and pain comes with that aging.
I often think about the active life I’ve lived.
The joys of soccer; the racquet sports that kept me fit!
But when I sit because of pain that hinders me,
I must recognize my body’s message to me.
The pain frustrates me, but then I am reminded of all the joys
I have in life; a loving family and so many friends.
A church family that too keeps me in tune
With what God is telling me for my present age
And not to dwell on what once was!
I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis
My doctor stated, “There is no cure, learn to live with it.”
I used to walk a lot; now not so much.
My cane goes everywhere I go;
Recently I left it,thinking all is good,
But when I walked back to the car,
My legs gave way and I tumbled, between the car and curb!
I have scrapes and bruises, and ribs that hurt.
How foolish–and now I know that a cane is a must.
Sometimes a walker is even a better choice,
It sits in the car, ready to be used, but pride comes in the way
And I try to go it all alone–not smart!
I have experienced many times of grief;
Losses that have complicated my life
And overshadowed any joy and gladness..
But after loss comes gain–and now I have a new partner
Who brings joy and makes my life complete again.
The joy of sitting on our fourth floor balcony,
Where we focus on the things around us;
We watch the birds, the squirrels, and the rabbits.
We marvel as the birds swoop down
And flit around the feeder meant for them.
We watch the comings and goings of the cars and people.
So glad that we can just relax and let the world go by.
I no longer have the energy of my soccer-playing days,
But God, our Creator, is so very good to us.
We have everything we need to have a life of joy
My brain still works even though my legs are weak.
I am so blessed that Mary and I are able to challenge each other
As we work on puzzles or word games that test our minds.
Or have frequent conversations around the books we’ve read.
I am learning to be thankful in all things, because
We cannot let the past control today.
Our life is different from the pleasures of the past.
We thank our God, our Sustainer, who makes each day
A day of joy and wonder and thankfulness for all we do have.
Gilbert, you taught me classes in Christian Ed at Bible school. Now you are still teaching--classes in Growing Older at the school of life.
ReplyDelete