Back in 1957 my parents moved to Clearbrook from Chilliwack, BC. I was not thrilled with the idea of leaving my friends in Chilliwack. After all, I was finishing grade 11 and wanted to stay in order to graduate with my high school friends. Why did we have to move now?
Thankfully, my parents allowed Bernie (my brother) and me to complete our year in Chilliwack. Bernie was expecting to graduate from East Chilliwack Bible School, and I was finishing grade 11. We drove back and forth each day, for several months—thankfully, gas was not the price it is today!
We moved into my Grandpa’s house. He was living alone and was getting somewhat frail, and was losing his eyesight because of diabetes. There had been talk of having him move in with us in Chilliwack—a move that would have suited me much better than having to move to Clearbrook. However, my parents, especially my mother (this was her dad) realized that Grandpa Thiessen would be totally lost in a strange city away from everything familiar. Therefore, the decision was made to sell the Chilliwack home and move in with Grandpa in Clearbrook.
We moved in the spring of 1957. I was unsure of any reception from teens my own age. However, on the first Sunday, I was invited to join several young people of my age and mostly my grade for activities of various kinds. Usually on Sundays, this group would end up at someone’s home for faspa. I was thrilled to be included. My first such time was at the home of Rose Friesen Bushman. The people that were there included Helmut Doerksen, Louise Rempel Janzen, Marie Rempel Gibbons, Ed Rempel, Ernie Schmidt, Inge Doerksen Schmidt, Jack Suderman, George Janzen, and Dave Rempel. Others participated in the group at other times. Of course, none of these people were married, but I wanted to include the married names. This was quite a tight-knit group. Both Bernie and I were invited, but Bernie bowed out while I went. I was soon included in the conversation. I felt good being there.
Although this was my first time with this group, I soon discovered that their friendship ran deep. Jack Suderman and Ernie Schmidt, in particular, made sure I was included in any of the activities. This soon eased my mind concerning the loss of friends in Chilliwack. Here I was included and appreciated. I stated earlier that my brother, Bernie, did not join me on that first Sunday afternoon. However, another person who also missed that afternoon, Rose Hooge, soon developed a real interest in Bernie. Both were in Grade 13 together, and soon let others know that they were in a serious relationship. After graduation, Bernie left for Ocean Falls, BC, to earn money before he and Rose got married. Although both have died, we remember the blossoming relationship and the love they showed through many years of marriage.
What can I say, except that these dear friends include me (us) in get-togethers whenever possible? Occasional phone calls and emails help keep me in the loop. That first Sunday in Clearbrook, so many years ago, brought life-long friendships. In fact, most of us are now in our eighties, with several no longer with us, but the “remnant” still meets. Whenever we get to the Fraser Valley, a call to Ernie and Inge brings a number of us together for some visiting. I often wonder whether these friends really know how they blessed me that first Sunday. Life-long friendship indeed!
This is a beautiful tribute to friendships, Dad. I hope I can have friendships that last this long.
ReplyDeleteWow, I didn't realize it started that quickly. So special.
ReplyDelete